Group Work: Schools in Nigeria

      I had not finished high school in Nigeria before I moved abroad, and it was a nice experience. A lot of cries and byes from the well-wishers.
      So, going to school in Nigeria is fun, you know the occasional beatings, errands and bringing stuff to school for the use of the school. I remember taking bamboos to school for flogging purpose (which many people, including the students, had tried to stop), I remember taking cutlasses to school for Wednesday environment day, cutting grasses and stuff like that. And so this are most often the group works, but individually assigned and done.
      So when I moved to Canada, and you know, group works are expensive, well talked and known about, I remember my first assigned group work in my Science 9 class, we had to make some measurement, measuring each other, and working with a volt or ohmmeter for measurement. I was excited, I mean it was exhilarating, I had never worked with the instrument itself before and so when I did, it was interesting, I had the help I could attain from my assigned group.
It would, however, be years later would I decipher or even think about group work. See, I left Nigerian 2008, and I was in SS1 equivalent to a grade 10 class, but when I moved here, the process and their own system for grading are through age. I was fourteen and so I just sent to grade 9, JSS3, that was heartbreaking but for the rest of grade 9 till I finished high school, I would think about the setbacks, and why I have to be doing the same class, the same topics been taught, but anyway, I swang by.
      Group work are hectic when you find the wrong people, but be amazing if you are assigned, right individuals, and you know students are crazy: you have those that wouldn't do anything, those that would attend or even do anything.
      Luckily I remember that my first project was in Nigeria, JSS1, equivalent to Grade 7. We had to create a table lamp for my Introtech class. We were the ones to get the bulb, the wood and other equipment we need. But it was good and so that was the group work, well at least in my secondary school, and we had performed excellently.
      I had a series of group works in Canada, those that were fun and others, maddening, but it was interesting. And through my schooling abroad, I would often juxtapose about the benefits, the disadvantages of schooling here and in Nigeria- the list, extensive, social, economy, age, environment, and on and on. Many presentations to do, worked on, and all, I realize that I, however, didn't have this, although, you can always read for the class were you to be called by teachers- and that was enough as a presentation or even the common sermon was given by the students on the assembly ground, it was great- life was nice with a lot of humidity.

       But advocating for more changes and refined ones, better ones is a stepping stone. I have been and I attended beautiful schools in Nigeria, I went into the studio, something that many of my classmates will regard to as luxury, but it is a luxury, I mean- art studio, but it open a lot of ways for people to label you, blah blah blah, rich children, porche, expensive, weird thing. it is something you hide from people, especially, your classmates if you know they would be upset. But, the environment I was in foster education, a good one, friendships, it doesn't need to boast or anything, the student have blackboards, and back then, not many teachers, talkless of the student have cell phones, not a lot drive cars, but bajaj and Suzuki- in fact, you would be flogged if you have that, or any ounce of privileges up your sleeves.
      But, it is, however, these privileges that the students need at least, to be up on the same toe as the rest of their classmates. While in the West, the system would foster for tolerances, and acceptance to be up these toes; it is privileged that I seem to noticed been foster. None one had to struggle to accept the other, but then again, I wasn't and we weren't in the same demography as the Ibo/Biafra, or Hausa, Ibibio and others, maybe, the differences and signs of struggles would be much clearer. But enough of that, I would like to see more swings on the playgrounds, seesaw. I use to love staying late after school at another school just because they have a swing, I had done that at one summer in Ifako School at Lagos when I got into to JSS1, and I thought someone would come and chase me off- It was fun.

      So, more group work in Nigeria school, presentations to boost the class, confidence- the most important key. These are among what I had noticed and that is missing, at least when I compared the times that I attended school in Nigeria, via in Canada.

Comments

Popular Posts