The Inter House Sport: Creating Good Memories




So, I left home for the sport's day, I believe November 2007, I was in the green-house, Abubakr House, and I have always been in the green-house since I  started secondary school at Ansar-ud-deen Comprehensive college, whereas, in the primary school of the same name, I was in Red House, Ali House throughout and we always came last.

But I came that day fully dressed and aware that it would be my last one. 

This is a story that I have always kept with me, always at the back of my head, a memory neatly tucked away, and I didn't think that I would share or would need to write this until I was on my Facebook looking at some pictures, and I couldn't help but remember the times and I got emotional enough to cry.

It was the first semester out of the three-semester in high schools, or at least in Nigeria, I had some money with me, and I also had my hijab on. Earlier and before the end of the year, my junior classes English teacher had asked us to participate in a traditional event for the end of year program; but we are in SS1, Senior Secondary School One, and we were excited, and so, my friends and I decided that we wouldn't participate that year, or so I thought. And besides, I had got hit by a motorbike while running the country race during that inter-house sports year (2007). So, even if I wanted to, I wouldn't have had the energy to. 

Yes, I was so determined to have participated in the country-race that happens every year, every inter-house sport before I leave Nigeria. It was like a dream of mine, I want to participate in the country race before I leave my home country, even if it is just one. But, the first time I registered and tried, I got into an accident. The guy had hit me from the back- and I would have hit the rock in front of me, if not luck. It would have been a-hit-and-run if not the people that stopped him, and they were going to fight him that day as he kept dining that it was my fault. Thank God for the people there, in truth, how could I have seen him coming behind me? Despite my attempts to continue, I was stopped, and treated- and then my P.E teacher took me back to the school, and then, I went to the hospital near my school. My friend had a good laugh at this- she did warn me.

Anyways- I did participate, the dream was fulfilled, I just was not able to complete the race.

During the first semester of the senior year, November, and in a month's time, we would be completing our first exam for senior class 1. Mind you, this exam's score determines which department we would ultimately end in. I wanted science like any other student, and you need a good aggregate to end up in the science department, but just as well Commerce, and Art. Although, art is greatly looked down up. A department that I also love very much, and I am optimistic about the discussion on the Arts in general.

So, my friends and I decided that we are going to take a lot of pictures, though mindfully, I have other plans for the pictures, as these pictures would later become accounts of stored memories, and good remembrance of my time in Nigeria. 

Over years, I would come to realize or wish that I have collected many and taken a lot more pictures with my friends, but bear with me, I was about 13 then, still as shy as anything, and I do not interact a lot with the lads in our classes, or rather I do not interact with any of then. But the girls, we are 70-100% friends. So, my friends and I took some pictures, we watched some games and left the venue.

Earlier during the day, there were lots of vendors selling sweets, food, street foods, and all at the venue. I had remembered two of them, one was selling shea fruits and the other was selling cashew fruits. I thought that I would take the shea because the cashew might ruin my clothes, but on the other hand, the cashew had already been sliced and so, I need not worry about the juice getting on my clothes. Later, and I mean years later, when I reflect on this day, I would come to attach some meanings to why I haven't chosen the shea fruit (because it is emi), if you're familiar with Yoruba words and marking, (emi) in another tone can mean life. 

But I took some photos and I believe I have only taken two or one (60 nairas each). And most of the pictures that I would have with my friends would be last-minute ones. Like I said, I was just becoming of age, young, ready, very responsible with how I spent money. And to be honest, I was distressed, scared for the next three years to come, which school I would go to? And the exams, NECO, WAEC, JAMB, and others. And though, I have always liked Uni-Ife. I was about thirteen or almost, and my thoughts were far off. I probably developed anxiety at the moment about the years to come.

I would come to realize so many things after this day, because after the exam, and we started the second semester, whereby I chose Science to be my line of the department, and two months in to be exact, I came to Canada. And that was among the first shock I would come to accept. The departure from everything I have ever known, all the plans I have planned with friends and all. The suddenness of it. Though, many would have you believe that abroad is life- yes, it is life, but it also come with challenges, trials and many laughter- so, it is just as well, a home. At the age, I could say that I was uncertain, and possibly, my friends, skeptical. But, was I ready for the journey? I am still confirming, emerging, and reemerging every day. It was a heck of a journey to be here and to be composed enough to write this.

But I am a writer, I write in order to calm myself, give myself a little therapy on life, reflections, and where I am headed to.

I posted the picture I had in November 2007 on Facebook earlier this year; and weirdly enough, about seven years after moving to Canada, and around the same month or time, I had another picture (though with a little less action and efizzy) like the 2007's; although, this time, with a new friend that I made. And it was another culture shock. I put the two side by side to see how far I have come, and how I have survived and exist consciously in both worlds. Nostalgia!

I know that I have been smiling in the picture, but I had also been crying at how close, how short life is


and it is always good to make and create good friendships wherever we find ourselves. 

Before I left Nigeria, my friends would say, "keep at home, and remember the child of whom you are!" And I believe that so far, I have kept intact, and fulfilled their bargains.

So, this is to celebrate life, memories, time, and friendships!





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts